Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ship outlines - visual help

4 posters

Go down

Ship outlines - visual help Empty Ship outlines - visual help

Post  Faceless Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Hey there again.
I just wanted to give you an updated impression on my experiences with your game so far.
I still think its great. I told some of my friends to check it out and they are now hooked as well. The one "complaint" we do have in common though, is that its sometimes hard to tell your ship apart from the background.
The gladiator stage of your demo for example ( very fun by the way ^^ ) could get a little "too filled with background-images" so especially during intense firefights it was at times difficult to differntiate your ship from all the stuff that was going on on screen.
Its rather a minor complaint actually because we still were able to finish those levels and have incredible fun with it but I kind of think maby some thin, glowing outlines around your ship and enemy ships ( like red for enemies and blue for friendly ships ) could really boost peoples' experiences with the game ( especially newcommers to the genre/game ).

So.. again...keep up the great work but dont forget to take breaks every now and then ^^

Later

Faceless

Back to top Go down

Ship outlines - visual help Empty Re: Ship outlines - visual help

Post  ECDryere Fri May 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Faceless. We currently use a special shader for yourself and targets that lightly "highlight" the ships; this is particularly important when the ship passes beneath something or is in a very bright spot, like over a star. We may be able to include some kind of outlining system in the near future.

Glad to hear you and your friend are enjoying the game! The beta is almost out for all pre-purchasers and Kickstarter backers. (Hopefully as soon as this weekend) Exclamation
ECDryere
ECDryere
Admin

http://ringrunner.net

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 pm

I get this the most when I am swarmed by ships deploying individual abilities... Suddenly my screen is full of special effects.
I tend to try and avoid these sort of situations though. For obvious reasons. Cool

Might I pose this along with another request: To change the way the camera works? Chronodrive plus fast ship leads to your ship not being placed properly on the screen, making it hard to steer it.
I recommend zooming out early and leaving a minimum border between the ship and the edge of the screen to allow people aiming their ship via reticle (SUCH AS ME) to turn their ship at any velocity.
Currently ships become almost impossible to handle at high speed, rendering the advantage almost useless.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  ECDryere Sat May 25, 2013 12:29 am

EvilNinjadude wrote:I get this the most when I am swarmed by ships deploying individual abilities... Suddenly my screen is full of special effects.
I tend to try and avoid these sort of situations though. For obvious reasons. Cool

Might I pose this along with another request: To change the way the camera works? Chronodrive plus fast ship leads to your ship not being placed properly on the screen, making it hard to steer it.
I recommend zooming out early and leaving a minimum border between the ship and the edge of the screen to allow people aiming their ship via reticle (SUCH AS ME) to turn their ship at any velocity.
Currently ships become almost impossible to handle at high speed, rendering the advantage almost useless.

We've tried to minimize the noise of most abilities. Clearly some produce more dazzling effects than others, but its always "informative." Cool

We'll look into tuning the camera for higher speed movement.
ECDryere
ECDryere
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Sat May 25, 2013 2:55 am

ECDryere wrote:
EvilNinjadude wrote:I get this the most when I am swarmed by ships deploying individual abilities... Suddenly my screen is full of special effects.

We've tried to minimize the noise of most abilities. Clearly some produce more dazzling effects than others, but its always "informative." Cool

We'll look into tuning the camera for higher speed movement.
Just tried it Chronodrive again today in my F5G. My ship dropped off the left side of the screen, I had to telefold to stay on it. How could i turn around without being able to move my cursor behind the ship? Shocked

Glad you're fixing it.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  ECDryere Sat May 25, 2013 3:03 am

Yep, it's definitely a problem we're aware of, but it's also a fairly edge-case situation. Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to address because of how the camera works, but Paul will look into it when he can. cyclops
ECDryere
ECDryere
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Sat May 25, 2013 4:22 am

ECDryere wrote:Yep, it's definitely a problem we're aware of, but it's also a fairly edge-case situation. Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to address because of how the camera works, but Paul will look into it when he can. cyclops
Oh, forgot to say it: Props for adding more sound effects. More distinct effects, easier battlefield adaptation, more fun!
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Added options for enemy and friendly highlights under the Game tab, will be available in next patch. Went ahead and added options for enabling/disabling the tinting that occurs near overheat and overload as a bonus. Cool
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 am

Paul Dryere wrote:Added options for enemy and friendly highlights under the Game tab, will be available in next patch. Went ahead and added options for enabling/disabling the tinting that occurs near overheat and overload as a bonus. Cool
Oh YEAH! I totally forgot that that could be annoying. The entire screen could turn purple blue or red... and that might be annoying. Especially if you're colorblind.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Faceless Mon May 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Amazing..It really is great that you are developing so close to the community you gathered. Hope our feedback will help boost the game experience for everyone in the future and help you create your dream-game ^^

Faceless

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Mon May 27, 2013 7:20 pm

It was definitely a good idea, I play with the highlights turned on myself. Smile Recently added an option to highlight dynamic collision objects like asteroids, space tumblers, etc. Figured someone would ask for it, so went ahead and got it out of the way. Razz
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down