Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smart Mouse Cursor

2 posters

Go down

Smart Mouse Cursor Empty Smart Mouse Cursor

Post  EvilNinjadude Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:13 am

Here, as foretold, is my stroke of Genius.

When using Archetype movement abilities with the Mouse, it will always revert. To illustrate what I mean by this, think of the controller. With the controller, you can give a direction using the stick. When you let go of the stick, it goes into neutral and stops giving a direction.

However, a cursor gives direction based on its location, which is sort of the point. Using an Archetype ability that changes the direction you are facing will point your ship in a different direction but not change the location of the cursor, meaning that your ship will immediately turn back the way it was facing before.

Now we could just be your average internet person and say: "Deal with it" or "Oh, why don't you go cry" or even "then buy a controller, you mouse nazi". I, however, propose a solution to go along with the problem. We make an option in the "game" options menu called "Smart Mouse Cursor" which will change the location of your cursor in the direction in which you used your archetype ability.

Whether we change the direction but not the distance, or always replace the cursor a fixed distance from the ship, or whether to leave the option default on or off, or even whether to accept this idea AT ALL, is your choice.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Smart Mouse Cursor Empty Re: Smart Mouse Cursor

Post  Paul Dryere Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:44 pm

This is similar to what I did for mouse aim mode for Rostrum Missions where you cannot see the cursor. I suppose I could add it in as a menu option at some point, but right now I need to concentrate on getting the multiplayer demo out. Smile
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:50 am

Not making any demands, just suggestions!

Besides, why do you have problems with time? Isn't there a Macro for that?
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Haha, I wish. I've been making good progress on the multiplayer without sagely powers though. Razz Just finished up having our prediction code account for external forces likes gravity, friction, and grappling. I'm really close to having it in a state that I would deem ready.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:Haha, I wish. I've been making good progress on the multiplayer without sagely powers though. Razz Just finished up having our prediction code account for external forces likes gravity, friction, and grappling. I'm really close to having it in a state that I would deem ready.
Prediction? Is this artificial latency reduction code or something like that?
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Yes, when the prediction is correct, the ships should be nearly in the exact same spot on all clients regardless of latency. Of course, many things can make the prediction invalid, a quick change of input (rotation or thrust) as well as abilities that effect velocity. This makes the F5 Mercury tough to netcode. Sad That is where smoothing comes into play, you smooth between previous and current predicted states to attempt to remove jarring position jumps.

I'm currently trying to handle movement abilities a bit more gracefully.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:51 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:Yes, when the prediction is correct, the ships should be nearly in the exact same spot on all clients regardless of latency. Of course, many things can make the prediction invalid, a quick change of input (rotation or thrust) as well as abilities that effect velocity. This makes the F5 Mercury tough to netcode. Sad That is where smoothing comes into play, you smooth between previous and current predicted states to attempt to remove jarring position jumps.

I'm currently trying to handle movement abilities a bit more gracefully.
Good luck with the coding. No amount of testing can fix it, so I'll just sit tight and cheer you on.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down