Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pickups and stacking

2 posters

Go down

Pickups and stacking Empty Pickups and stacking

Post  EvilNinjadude Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Next to the Veterancy system (which really only activates in Wave-missions, or Multiplayer) defeated enemies drop pickups. You collect them, and a cool little sound plays each time you pick them up. I repeatedly get myself into sticky situations because I feel like I NEED to have that extra Haste.

The question is, is it worth it? Each time you collect one, the sound tells you that you have just taken a level in Badass, but the little crosses on the reticle appear once you have picked up the first powerup of a type, and each color only has one cross.

So, how much does collecting each long-term (not Repair and Resupply) powerup improve your stats, and how much do subsequent powerups of the same kind do?
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Pickups and stacking Empty Re: Pickups and stacking

Post  Paul Dryere Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 am

The alpha or opaqueness of each cross goes up as you collect more of that powerup, though it is a bit hard to tell at times. Smile

Each of the persistent powerups stack up to 4 times, and each stack has equal effect. They are all definitely worth picking up, the damage power up, for instance, is a 10% damage increase per stack.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 am

Are you gonna stick with 'for instance' (a nice AND MORE! marketing , but I'm looking for something more in-depth) or are we gonna get stats 'n' details, like, ever?

Oh yeah, this attack does 420 Damage! All right, you can't see the enemy HP, or see how much damage you do, but hey, it's a NUMBER!

(moar numbers pl0x, even if optionally)
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:36 pm

We may add optional damage text at some point, its not entirely trivial unfortunately, but of course possible. We could possibly do something similar to League of Legends in terms of showing a bit more info on health (notched bars), but will probably not give exact values on the HUD. We are striving to design the game where you don't have to worry about exact numbers and design your ship more according to play style than mathematical optimization. Ideally, every piece of equipment and ability should fit into its own niche and be balanced against all other equipment or abilities.

We might add a detailed stat view in the hangar that will show all your ship's stats before release.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 am

I wouldn't mind that at all, but I agree that a lot of people would not want to see the game devolve into what games like WoW have to a degree become: NUMBER PARTIES. Collect as many and as high numbers as possible to prove your awesome. And I can see why they don't like it.

But in other cases, like Team Fortress 2, there is the option to see your damage numbers. I have found this incredibly enlightening as there is next to no other way (apart from guessing) how much difference in damage it makes when you shoot your minigun at people from different distances.

Let me just say it matters. A lot. As in, 2:9 damage per bullet, 1:5 for bullet spread, leading to a 2:45 damage ratio, going from 5m to 20m alone. And that damage reduction is important so you will know what weapons work best and when, and what tactics will not work at all. Like minigunning from the other side of the river at 2Fort. Don't even TRY doing that. KDR of 0.

See what I mean? Having a game based only on numbers will detract from gameplay, but having a game without numbers but huge dependence on them will lead to powerful cookie-cutter builds that will wreck any casual gamer.

Multiplayer balance = P.I.T.A.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

I definitely see your point, and I will definitely try and add damage numbers once I finish up with multiplayer.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum