Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Physics Dynamics

3 posters

Go down

Physics Dynamics Empty Physics Dynamics

Post  Astral Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:46 pm

I am liking the physics concepts that are in the game, but there is a problem with some of the balance. The bigger heavier ships should not be able to be tossed around by an iddy biddy ship's grapple beams as easily as they are in the game. When I pilot the Heavy Duo class I can barely get my lummox space ship to putter around but when a group of grapple ships show up for a fight I start getting a nasty case of tha whip lash, ha ha!

Astral

Back to top Go down

Physics Dynamics Empty Re: Physics Dynamics

Post  Paul Dryere Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Grappling is implemented as a spring force, the resulting acceleration is effected by the ship's mass. The mass of ships in the game don't scale with volume realistically for gameplay reasons. While mass does help you resist external forces, it is actually balanced as a negative in the game's equipment autobalance logic. This of course, is because mass also effects the amount of acceleration that results from engine and afterburner thrust.

We are constantly trying to improve gameplay and feedback is always appreciated! Smile
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Maybe have it so that some of the heavier ships move more slowly and also accelerate you forwards when you use a 'pull enemy towards me' skill, and have some of the lighter ships move towards you when you use a 'pull me to enemy' skill?
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 pm

That is a possibility, but I would also probably have to take each ship's mass to some power (probably 2 or 3) in order for it to have a more dramatic effect on grappling. This would require rebalancing all grappling skills, but I may do it at some point. Smile
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum