Tips for playing as a fighter archetype

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tips for playing as a fighter archetype

Post  Splatted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi I'm part way through the single player and was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing as a fighter since I'm a bit unsure how to make use of the maneuverability. Particularly I'd like to know:

1. How do you combine evasive flight patterns with attacking the enemy? I find that since I have to be facing straight at them to attack I end up doing strafing runs, but that doesn't really take advantage of my speed since me and the enemy ship are pretty much just emptying everything we have in to each other. I try boosting in one direction then relying on momentum to keep me going while I turn and shoot but it often ends disastrously since you slow down pretty quickly.

2. How do you deal with tractor beam turrets? It seems like my enemies just have to drop a bunch of these and then it's over. Sometimes movement abilities are enough to break free in time but I don't feel I have any response that amounts to more than mash relevant button and hope for the best.

3. Not a fighter specific question but, what is the reason for having both afterburner and standard boosters. I don't see how this provides any extra facility since alernating between no booster/afterburner seems to provide the best way of managing speed, heat production and energy consumption. Is there something I'm missing.

Sorry if these are stupid questions; I haven't played in ages but suddenly remembered how awesome this game was and so I'm halfway through the campaign with the skills/knowledge of a complete beginner. XD

Thanks for any help.

Splatted

Back to top Go down

Re: Tips for playing as a fighter archetype

Post  Splatted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:19 pm

I decided to go back to the beginning and attempt some achievements as a way of easing myself back in and I feel I'm starting to get a better idea of things. Not sure how well this will apply to later missions where the screen is full of enemies and they all have movement control abilities, but my current thinking is that it's less about attacking while evading and more about outmaneuvering them to put yourself in a position where you can attack safely. I.e.

*Run away from groups and try and pick off enemies that stray too far from the pack. (This one's kinda obvious but whatever)
*Don't just randomly jump about all over the place. Use movement abilities to achieve specific things like get behind an enemy, dodge a specific attack or take advantage of an opening. You can then use the time between jumps to attack the enemy.
*Letting your momentum carry you while you turn and shoot is very effective early on, but I'm not sure about later missions. I recall that it makes enemy abilities that inhibit movement much more effective. (Both because they stop you more easily and because you're probably not facing the way you need to be in order to escape)
*Whenever possible pick an enemy to focus on. Health regenerates so just shooting whatever's closest doesn't really work unless you regularly manage to kill it.

Splatted

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:45 am

The advice in your second post is actually pretty much good, though I would like to add that whizzing around human opponents using your telefolds like an electron around a nucleus is actually rather effective.

This advice however will only take you so far when you're relying on maneuverability alone. Additional stuff I always take is:
1. At least one disable
2. Break/Salvation
3. Lots of speed and maneuverability.

At higher difficulties, not getting hit, and having a lot of HP (and probably healing) is crucial. Stay mobile if you can, keep practicing, and also consider adding me as a friend so we can play together sometime.

EvilNinjadude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Splatted on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks! I'd completely forgotten about sage abilities and I'm not sure I've ever even tried using a disable on a fighter. So much to experiment with...XD

I've sent someone with the same name as you a friend request on steam (I'm SplattedWhy on there) so hopefully we can play together. I'm probably no better than the AI right now but at least I'll add some variety to the experience. Smile

Splatted

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top