Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips for surviving The Pool?

3 posters

Go down

tips for surviving The Pool? Empty tips for surviving The Pool?

Post  damageSponge Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:43 am

The computer keeps flying circles around me on the higher
difficulty levels (The Pool and up). Can't dent his defenses,
keep getting killed in one hit and, yes, starting to get a bit
frustrated Very Happy

Is there some magical setup that I'm missing? Is The Pool
supposed to be this fast-paced, die-twice-for-every-kill
mess? Or am I simply not fast enough on the uptake?

Any (helpful) tips would be welcome.

damageSponge

Back to top Go down

tips for surviving The Pool? Empty Re: tips for surviving The Pool?

Post  EvilNinjadude Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Well, damagesponge, PVP is not much different from high-difficulty single-player content (players in PVP make up for lower damage and HP with smarter piloting and use of abilities).

The AI has a high damage output and takes very little damage, meaning that slow, easy targets quickly become less viable on higher difficulties. I tend to fly ships that are hard to hit, soak up a lot of damage, have high mitigation, or have quick regeneration when they aren't being hit.
Check for example the templates I have submitted to the workshop.
The Pegasus is an all-purpose ship with extremely high damage output, and healing proportional to rockets fired (also has a salvation break combo), has an easy escape mechanism and is often cloaked.
The Mercury is hard to hit, dodges projectiles, mitigates AoE, and is a fantastic disabler, but at the same time has a mediocre damage output.
The Aquiline thrives from hurting and killing ships, gaining a haste bonus when damaging hull and becoming fully cloaked for every kill, triggering cloak-level-specific passive buffs. It also heals itself for a percentage of damage dealt with the time bombs.

You'll note that none of my ships have strong shield regen, instead relying on high capacity and passive healing abilities to regain the lost health. This is because it is very easy to be bursted down at higher difficulties.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  damageSponge Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Thank you EvilNinjadude.

I mostly build big, slow tanks, because (on paper) they
seem safest. Guess I'll have to re-think my approach.

damageSponge

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:06 pm

They do seem safest, but they have the disadvantages of being slow and easy to hit. Without defensive abilities, it's a race to see who can kill the other first -- an Arsenal is more likely to outlast an opponent. When the difficulty is higher, however, the opponents get more damage, and more health: You're going to take more time to kill them, they have more time to kill you, and more damage to do it with. Arsenals have barely any escapes.

So yeah, you might be in a tank, but upping the difficulty is like having to splat anti-tank vehicles instead of squishy infantry.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm

I usually take the Translocate sage ability along with Salvation in my corona for Arsenals on high difficulties. Since movement and healing are the most important aspects for an Arsenals survival in higher difficulties. If you are going for a rocket build, siphoning warheads is crucial at higher difficulties. If you don't have siphoning, then you will need to favor crowd control, like the Titan Prebuilt ship.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum