The illusion of customization.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The illusion of customization.

Post  Innomen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Let's run down the list of walls to true customization.
1. Huge "tutorial" chapter. During which you have not even a semblance of choice: Now skippable, Bravo.
2. Hull use restriction during first available hanger mission.
3. Classes. Only certain kinds of slots are available on certain kinds of hulls.
4. Slots. Only certain kind of parts will fit in certain kinds of slots.
5. Part size. Some parts take up more space within a slot than others.
6. Part number. But what does it matter if I can't clone/stack the smaller parts?
7. Empty shop. How long is that the case?

Might as well just disable the shop and parts system entirely if you're going to put so many restrictions on what part goes where and when you get it.

And if you're going to rail the player so hard, you might as well just skip play entirely during the story and make it all cut scenes.

Annoyance and lack of choices does not equal game play. And not everyone has fun in the same kind of way.

So I have questions.
1. At what point in the game will I actually have some degree of freedom to design my ship? It feels like the skip option just skipped me to a second tutorial. Is the entire single player game on rails like this? Is there no sandbox universe? (Star control, SPAZ.)

2. Is there a cheat to unlock all parts and hulls?

3. Are there cheats to remove some of these restrictions about what goes where? (Maybe I don't like being forced to choose between wasted slots or going into the field with 9 different kind of weapons.)

Every slot type should have passive bonus place fillers.

The "classes" shouldn't be explicit. They should be emergent based on common build types. Think more dungeon siege or titan quest, not diablo. Whether or not I'm a "caster" or a "grappler" should depend not on a choice in a drop down but what weapons I've chosen to place on which hull and how I use them.

(Like the difference between a smiter and a hammerdin among diablo 2 paladins.)

Innomen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The illusion of customization.

Post  Paul Dryere on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:44 pm

I can assure that customization is not an illusion, there are literally billions of possibilities. Multiple hundreds of which are completely viable at high end play.

I'm going to go ahead and give you a steam key as the latest patch has made all parts available in the shop. GoG takes a bit to get the patch available. (I'll private message you one in these forums.)

As for hulls having certain equip nodes, that of course makes them different from one and other. If there were no limitations to a hull, they would all be effectively the same. Many high end hulls are hybrid types, pulling from different classes' equip nodes.

Every node does have several passive options to choose from, but you will have to buy the respective parts.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Innomen on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Good to hear, and thank you very much Smile

I'll look over the new options made available by the steam version. A full shop no doubt changes many things.

Long story short I realize your dilemma. I still think a shooter ARPG hybrid is genius.

Innomen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top