Stuck cursor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stuck cursor

Post  Atarun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:19 pm

I tried playing Ring Runner for the first time ever today and I don't have any game controller at hand right now, so I tried passing the preferred input choice screen with either mouse or keyboard. No matter which, the game shows me Xbox gamepad controls and then takes me to the main menu... but the cursor remains stuck at the top-left pixel of the window. I can move it with either the mouse or keyboard, but it rushes back to the top-left corner long before I could click on anything...

I have checked that my .NET and XNA frameworks are up to date and they are.
I have tried rebooting Steam and the computer and it didn't change a thing.
I cannot try fullscreen, because the game launches in windowed mode by default and I haven't managed to either click on the menu or find a config.ini or equivalent to try switching to fullscreen from outside the game.
In case it's relevant, I'm playing on a gaming laptop under Windows 7 64 bits.

I've ran out of ideas for now. No

Atarun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stuck cursor

Post  Paul Dryere on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Hey Atarun,

The gamepad screen is just a splash screen we put up while the game is loading assets.

Normally, the windows mouse cursor should be hidden while over the window. It should also be snapped to the center of the window and not the top left. I have a couple suggestions that may help.

1) Try pressing shift+tab to pop open the steam overlay, as this frees the mouse. Close the steam overlay and see if the problem continues to occur.
2) Try using the just the keyboard to navigate the UI. The bindings for UI navigation are shown at the top of the main menu screen. Navigate to Options > Video > Display Mode > Fullscreen and see if the problem persists in full screen.

If neither of these suggestions work, then I will try adding an option to disable the mouse snapping logic the game currently uses to keep the mouse within the window.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Atarun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:41 pm

Thank you for your extremely quick answer!

Paul Dryere wrote:
1) Try pressing shift+tab to pop open the steam overlay, as this frees the mouse. Close the steam overlay and see if the problem continues to occur.
Oops. I forgot mentioning I tried that... and it didn't work. I had read that as a suggestion for someone who wanted to free the mouse lock on the window to use other applications and I tried it but it does nothing for my problem. And it does not free the mouse from the window either, by the way. No 

2) Try using the just the keyboard to navigate the UI. The bindings for UI navigation are shown at the top of the main menu screen. Navigate to Options > Video > Display Mode > Fullscreen and see if the problem persists in full screen.
The keyboard behaves exactly like the mouse. It will move the cursor for less than a second before it rushes back to the top-left corner. No way to navigate to anything. No button is ever selected and the cursor never disappears. No 

If neither of these suggestions work, then I will try adding an option to disable the mouse snapping logic the game currently uses to keep the mouse within the window.
Well, thank you. Looking forward to that. Surprised

Atarun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:49 pm

Np, it seems like a couple of people have been having this issue, so I will definitely be adding an option to unlock the mouse.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:58 pm

As a follow up, unfortunately having an option to free the mouse cursor would take a huge rework to the input system.

The good news is I have hopefully made the mouse capturing logic a bit smarter so this glitch may be fixed in the next patch for you.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Atarun on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:56 am

Paul Dryere wrote:As a follow up, unfortunately having an option to free the mouse cursor would take a huge rework to the input system.

The good news is I have hopefully made the mouse capturing logic a bit smarter so this glitch may be fixed in the next patch for you.
Awesome. Very Happy I was wondering about how to activate the option, anyway. Rolling Eyes 

Atarun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Icupnimpn2 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello, I am having an identical problem with this game. Looking for a solution. Unsure what to do. The cursor at the menu stays in the top left corner, only moving a little bit and then snapping back into place. Is there any way to force the game to full screen mode as a test without walking the menu? Please advise. Thank you.

Icupnimpn2

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Hey Icupnimpn2,

If you want, you can send an email to rrcrashreport@gmail.com and I will reply with a save file with full screen enabled.

Just curious what version of the game are you running? You can see the version at the bottom left of the main menu.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  icupnimpn2 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Thank you for the speedy response.

I am running what looks like the latest version on Steam:
1.1.0.7 Full, Steam

As a test I copied the same install files to another computer and had Steam discover them. Then played from there and the mouse/keyboard behavior was completely different (and working properly).

I set the game to full screen, then copied the install back the the target computer. The game opened as windowed mode again and had the same cursor/input problem.

I'll send you an email. Thanks again.

icupnimpn2

Back to top Go down

Resolved issue

Post  icupnimpn2 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 pm

OK fixed it somehow.  Not sure where the magic was, but here's what I did.

Went to the options file under My Documents/SavedGames/RingRunner/AllPlayers (which I had not found before).

Opened the options file in Notepad

Found a section for resolutions. There's non-text in the file, which I was careful to avoid.

(Made a back up copy in case I made things worse.)

1) Saw a part that said

Video Display Mode Windowed

Changed it to

VideoDisplay Mode Fullscreen

2) Also saw

Fullscreen Resolution1280x800

Changed it to my native resolution

Fullscreen Resolution1920x1080

3) Finally, saw something strange

Windowed Resolution853x533

!!!! I have never seen that resolution before! Changed it to something more standard

Windowed Resolution1280x800

Whichever part of that did the trick, my mouse and keys are recognized and I can navigate the menus.

Maybe this will help someone else who has the issue of the mouse cursor getting stuck in the upper left corner in Ring Runner. (And maybe a search engine will index this)

icupnimpn2

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 pm

Awesome, so glad you got it fixed. I will definitely make sure to use this information for anyone else who might run into the problem. I was going to suggest trying to disable steam community before running the game through steam to see if that would work, but this is a better solution.  Smile 

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Screen Stuck

Post  DirtyNate on Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi I was interested in playing this game as a couple of my friends were thinking about starting to play, and it's on sale right now.

But I'm having the stuck in the upper left corner problem.

I tried looking for the options file as the user above posted. But my "AllPlayers" directory is open.

I am using the free version and was considering buying the real one, but it's not worth it to me, if I can't play it.

DirtyNate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top