Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race and skilltree suggestion

4 posters

Go down

Do you think having a RPG skilltree added will be good or bad idea?

Race and skilltree suggestion I_vote_lcap40%Race and skilltree suggestion I_vote_rcap 40% 
[ 2 ]
Race and skilltree suggestion I_vote_lcap60%Race and skilltree suggestion I_vote_rcap 60% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 5

Race and skilltree suggestion Empty Race and skilltree suggestion

Post  Tariulz Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:32 am

Hi i'm stuck at a race where your flying a F5 Mercury however I can't seem to get passed this since the AI is way faster than me at top speed so even if I fly perfectly not hitting any sides they still overpass me. Is there something i'm missing since you don't have any abilities?

Great game btw really like the concept of being able to use my singleplayer ship in multiplayer and get money to use on both. However I feel that the game is lacking to some extent that once you get all the equipment and ships you really don't have any incentive to continue playing. What about adding like a passive skilltree system into the game. For instance getting 1 extra missile per missile volley or longer range on lasers? Since your gaining plex to buy stuff, add like a level up system by getting experience per kill and quests you complete. Only my opinion but I think it would add a lot to the game because the game at the moment feels like a glorified arcade asteroid shooter. It will add some depth and strategy making you feel like working towards a goal that you have for a certain ship you favor above the rest. The potential is limitless and I think many people will buy the game just because of that there are a lot of RPG fans out there. I know I for one will be very happy to see a little level up animation while playing and knowing I can upgrade something.

Tariulz

Back to top Go down

Race and skilltree suggestion Empty Re: Race and skilltree suggestion

Post  EvilNinjadude Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:13 am

Mate, I don't think you're okay with the game as it is. You want to see an improvement to this "glorified asteroids shooter". Is the customization you got not good enough? Is the trek to gather and unlock all the equipment not long enough? (It was for me)

And if you lack an incentive to keep playing... keep playing WHAT? The campaign? It appears you aren't done with it. Multiplayer? No way you've played enough Multiplayer to be tired of it unless you don't enjoy Multiplayer to begin with.

If you want an individual per-ship upgrade to individual weapons... it won't fit well in this game where having tradeoffs and combining weapons and abilities is more important than upgrading a single weapon in your arsenal, though, get this: There's passives out there too that do just that.

I think you're misunderstand the game and want it to be something that it's not. It's something that could be changed. But why does there need to be a linear progression in the custom matches as well? Progression is not something this game is about. The concept of sidegrades that this game uses stands in direct opposition to the linear improvement curve featured in most RPGs where you continuously try to get better stuff.

Also, most of the racing missions are easy. And your ship always comes with abilities, I don't know what you're talking about. There's always abilities.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Tariul Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:38 am

EvilNinjadude your way to sensitive I'm not trying to bash the game please take my post at face value. All I'm doing is putting down a suggestion hence why suggestion is in the title. If the devs don't want something like this in there game fair enough. I personally think it would be great and I can see potential in adding it to the game and greatly enlarging the player base but hey that's just my opinion. The devs took the time to put mini games and a moba style in maybe they can put this in too. Adding more customization and options is never a bad thing in a game unless you want to dumb things down to please the general audience and we all know how that worked out for AAA games.

"Is the customization you got not good enough? Is the trek to gather and unlock all the equipment not long enough? (It was for me)"
The point I'm trying to make is that most people stick with one ship they like once the stuff is unlocked for it, you pretty much don't have any progression. And a lot of the equipment is not very useful just because there is a lot of dirt on the ground doesn't make it useful.

The mission that I'm talking about is called Teclado 500 and no you don't have any abilities in that race hence why I'm merely asking for help on here maybe I'm doing something wrong that I don't have any abilities or it's a bug who knows.

Tariul

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 am

And no, I didn't mean to come across as offensive. Just not having the best of days. Sorry about that. Now that I reread my post, it does sound rather rash. Sad 
So no, I didn't mean to be offensive, nor am I offended by anything you said. And yes, I did take your post at face value, always going back and reconsidering why I didn't like the changes you proposed for any other reason than "I like the game the way it is already". And I think I came up with pretty good reasons, if I do say so myself.

And find most abilities useful, or at least something to be reckoned with when used by the enemy. I've made probably a dozen different ships with different equipment and different nodes, looking for both variety and optimization in what equipment I picked.

If you're sticking with one ship because you're doing really well with it, turn up the difficulty! That's what I did, and eventually yes, I was forced into only using the ships and equipment that worked best. But then, after I was done with the campaign, I turned the difficulty back down and started experiment with all sorts of ships and equipment. The prebuilt ships should help if you feel that unlocking Hulls is the major stumbling step between you and variety.

Tariul wrote:The mission that I'm talking about is called Teclado 500 and no you don't have any abilities in that race hence why I'm merely asking for help on here maybe I'm doing something wrong that I don't have any abilities or it's a bug who knows.
Hit escape and go to Bindings. It should list all your active and passive abilities there. I'm going to check for myself, too.

EDIT: Holy crap. You have nothing but four passives. You're absolutely right. Enrique, FIX PLS

Still managed an optimal run on The Union. 70.something seconds. If you use afterburner and brakes poperly, that's possible even without abilities, as the other two ships ALSO appear to have none.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercurius Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:50 am

I think having no weapons in that race is intended in the story. At least I didn't have too much trouble in that level when I played on Runner. You could try turning the difficulty down if you just don't like racing, and turning it back up when you get to combat stuff if you think that's more fun.

As for the RPG stuff, since you are still stuck on Dvorak level you should probably give the customization some more try. It takes a while to unlock awesome stuff.

Also, not all RPGs have skill tree progression. In Guild Wars (not sure about GW2 but I heard it's similar) for example, you hit the level cap and get the best equipment really fast (maybe like 15~20% through the game), and all that's left is trying out different skill combinations. That's still a lot of fun

Mercurius

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:26 pm

I think it's not intended for there to be no skills. I remember the mission WITH skills, for heaven's sake! Very Happy 

You used to have a Mercurial beam, telefold, evasive maneuvers, and a Star Duster along with a whole bunch of passives. And it says that the abilities are disabled for the very start of the race, so withholding abilities entirely would make very little sense.
I think the devs just broke this a few updates ago.

And yeah, I agree that it's about the skill combinations in this game and not at all about linear upgrades. The campaign is designed around this, and the custom games work off the same basis. Adding linear progression would have to be limited to custom games only, but if you know anything about Ring Runner, you'd know that people have called the devs crazy for trying to put as much into the game (and MANAGING!) as they have.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Tariul Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:52 pm

I just want to clarify I'm not new to the game I played on and off for awhile where I unlocked all the ships and equipment and tried nearly all of them. I only a few days came back to try the new MOBA mode which is great but needs a bit of tweaking since 1 side can steamroll the other without you doing much.

I completely forgot about the afterburners got it through now on the first try cheers!

GW2 actually did have a skilltree that is called the traits that is a whole list of passives for each class that sets people apart from others some being stronger in certain skills than others. I'm suggesting the exact same thing where for instance you have a whole bunch to choose from obviously the number you can choose is capped at your level and the max level is capped. So you will have to decide what type of ship will fit your play style and focus on making the play style stronger through the trees. And these trees can be related to your pilot like a separate pilot skill tree. Having maybe 3 or 4 different trees each one specializing in an area. The skills shouldn't have to be limited in multiplayer and custom games. Most of the fun is playing against or with someone and seeing how effective they are and striving to be just as good. That is why RPG's is so popular and I guarantee you if this is implemented you will lure many a player. And this will work very well since the singleplayer and coop is already here people can look forward to leveling up and buying new gear together with others. Look at league of legends if it wasn't for that mastery tree and the runes the game would not have been this popular.

Tariul

Back to top Go down

Post  Mercurius Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 pm

EvilNinjadude wrote:I think it's not intended for there to be no skills. I remember the mission WITH skills, for heaven's sake! Very Happy 

You used to have a Mercurial beam, telefold, evasive maneuvers, and a Star Duster along with a whole bunch of passives. And it says that the abilities are disabled for the very start of the race, so withholding abilities entirely would make very little sense.
I think the devs just broke this a few updates ago.
I thought it's intended because Nero said "This isn't a destruction derby like last race" or something.  I only picked up this game fairly recently so idk what it was like a few updates ago.

GW2 actually did have a skilltree that is called the traits that is a whole list of passives for each class that sets people apart from others some being stronger in certain skills than others. I'm suggesting the exact same thing where for instance you have a whole bunch to choose from obviously the number you can choose is capped at your level and the max level is capped. So you will have to decide what type of ship will fit your play style and focus on making the play style stronger through the trees. And these trees can be related to your pilot like a separate pilot skill tree. Having maybe 3 or 4 different trees each one specializing in an area. The skills shouldn't have to be limited in multiplayer and custom games. Most of the fun is playing against or with someone and seeing how effective they are and striving to be just as good. That is why RPG's is so popular and I guarantee you if this is implemented you will lure many a player. And this will work very well since the singleplayer and coop is already here people can look forward to leveling up and buying new gear together with others. Look at league of legends if it wasn't for that mastery tree and the runes the game would not have been this popular.
I think what you are suggesting is more Corona/Veterancy equipment, except each player has a level that limits how many of those he/she can equip.  Honestly idk if that's a good idea or not.  I do think having a bit more variety in Corona/Veterancy node is good, but that's up to the devs as making more content takes a lot of effort.

Also I've played LoL for years now and I don't think mastery and runes are why that game is popular.  I think runes are mostly a huge in-game currency sink so that people have to pay real money to buy champions or grind like 60 hours, and most people I know just have standard mastery set up copied from some guide for each role/champion...

Mercurius

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:23 am

I don't play LoL or GW2 D:
I have seen the passive specialization tree for classes though. It looks pretty sweet and intricate, but it will add a LOT of complexity to this game and it's already pretty darn complex.
This game is like a collectible card game where every player plays his entire deck in ten seconds without you being able to read the card descriptions for any but your own cards in-game, and then after a cooldown the cards return to the deck to be played again.
You're proposing not only for more cards to be added, and adding extra randomness into the build in that the specialization, unlike the ability use, cannot be detected by the players directly. It'd lengthen the learning curve, but not really raise the skill ceiling (if implemented properly).

If you're focusing on a specific playstyle, I think picking a ship and all its items is way way enough without adding in specialization trees to each single ship.
And it'd be too much work for (imho) too little appeal, since what this game needs is only attention, not improvement.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  perplexingTheorist Mon May 26, 2014 5:34 pm

I'd like to chime in on this topic a bit.

The only place I could possibly see a skill tree or race options would be in the moba style game mode and Space Defense League. Out side of that the game is pretty balanced and gives you plenty of passive ability and modifying passives. The only other thing I could see is adding more gear for different passives and what not.

The skill tree might help depending on what happens to the Space Defense League and moba game modes and how they are received by people as the game modes evolve.
perplexingTheorist
perplexingTheorist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down