Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dvorak keyboard

3 posters

Go down

Dvorak keyboard Empty Dvorak keyboard

Post  Odi Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Loving the game so far!

Some games I've played will rebind automatically to dvorak. For example, WASD would work without having to change any keybinds, but then when chatting, it would be in dvorak. I think that these games listen to the hardware version of the keys for movement (I use a qwerty keyboard), and the software version of the keys for chatting (windows changes the layout in software only). My suspicion is that these games do not intentionally support dvorak, it just happens to be a mechanism of the underlying foundation software.

Most games (including Ring Runner) needs me to rebind all the keys before I even launch the tutorial (or in some games switch to qwerty before I can even play). I like that the tutorial and binds screen show the rebound keys (although it took me by surprise at first, since I touch type dvorak and haven't had to think of where . or ' are). I also like how the game swaps the keys if there is a conflict, making it easier to rebind everything (some games will just make the old bind blank, requiring pen and paper to complete the rebind process).

After the rebind process, I haven't really thought about it until I just got to the point in the storyline where the developers apparently knew about dvorak! So I was just wondering if any design decisions were made regarding the above hardware/software differentiation, or if it is impossible with the game's foundation software.

Odi

Back to top Go down

Dvorak keyboard Empty Re: Dvorak keyboard

Post  Paul Dryere Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Ironically, I didn't put any special case logic for Dvorak keyboards. :)I would have to look into it a bit, but I'm not sure it would be easy to implement a convenient solution.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Odi Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm

There's no need to waste time looking into it or implementing a convenient solution. Using XNA probably hides a lot of those things anyway. I have gotten used to rebinding even with games from major publishers (it only takes a few minutes). I was merely curious because I just got to that part of the story Smile

Odi

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:41 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:Ironically, I didn't put any special case logic for Dvorak keyboards. Smile
I'm very very upset about this. I thought you had it covered.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down