Spire Battle - Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do Spire Battle matches seem too fast or too slow?

50% 50% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
50% 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2

Spire Battle - Discussion

Post  ECDryere on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 pm

The Spire Battle will play significantly different with Rank 5 hulls, but here are other changes you can expect.

Possible Changes:

• More Options - Fine tuning the difficulty of AI opposition.
  • Outer Defenses - The option for longer matches through the incorporation of outer turrets and outposts. (similar to most MOBA games)
  • Drones - The option to add waves of low-rank drones. (similar to most MOBA games)

Goal:

We want to keep the game play clean. 12 on 12 or 20 on 20 battles may sound enticing, but the visual chaos that would ensue with all those ships firing all at once would result in one great big cluster... you know what! affraid
ECDryere
Admin

View user profile http://ringrunner.net

Back to top Go down

V .8.0.0 Spire Mode

Post  Privateer X on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey, I got to play a round of spire mode earlier today with the new version and there are a few things you should look at.

1. The action was completely concentrated at the opposite ends of the map. All of the opposing fighters refused to engage me in a dogfight in the middle part of the map. They'd mainly just strafe by me and go straight for my base.

2. I played the match at Runner difficulty and I didn't even die once. Moreover, the enemy base was a little too easy to take out now; this is a drastic change from the previous versions where the base was nigh impossible to take down.

That's it for now.
Privateer X

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spire Battle - Discussion

Post  Paul Dryere on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm

We didn't change the difficulty of the Spire Battle, so you probably just got better at the game. Smile Up the difficulty to Sage or Arch Sage for a bigger challenge.

As for the AI not engaging you in the middle, currently the AI personality (how likely to defend or go straight for your base) is randomly set for each ship at the beginning of the match, so this will vary each time you play. We are still refining the personality system, we hope to have the AI adapt its personality in response to game events.
Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  perplexingTheorist on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:06 pm

ECDryere wrote:The Spire Battle will play significantly different with Rank 5 hulls, but here are other changes you can expect.

Possible Changes:

• More Options - Fine tuning the difficulty of AI opposition.
  • Outer Defenses - The option for longer matches through the incorporation of outer turrets and outposts. (similar to most MOBA games)
  • Drones - The option to add waves of low-rank drones. (similar to most MOBA games)

Goal:

We want to keep the game play clean. 12 on 12 or 20 on 20 battles may sound enticing, but the visual chaos that would ensue with all those ships firing all at once would result in one great big cluster... you know what! affraid

What if you made a second spire game time that resembled LoL in which there were more defenses, drone waves, and different resource capture points?

Like, say for instance, there would be resources scattered around the map that would increase damage by a fraction, or decrease cooldowns by a fraction, thus making more of a push and pull game type?

As well, just for general spire game modes, maybe some new drop items such as cool down decreasers shield increasers, range increasers, and maybe one shot use items like emps?

--also, i van't vote for some reason.--
perplexingTheorist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:23 pm

We are definitely going to be making a more MOBA like version of the Spire Battle. (It was one of our successful stretch goals on Kickstarter)
Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aratex on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 am

When playing singleplayer spire battles, why does the AI pick class 4 hulls and not class 5?
Aratex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Aratex wrote:When playing singleplayer spire battles, why does the AI pick class 4 hulls and not class 5?
To make it fair for those poor sods who are limited to Rank 3 Hulls. They don't play in the Pool though, so that kinda invalidates my point.
EvilNinjadude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aratex on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:06 pm

EvilNinjadude wrote:To make it fair for those poor sods who are limited to Rank 3 Hulls. They don't play in the Pool though, so that kinda invalidates my point.

Maybe it should just scale with what hull rank you use yourself. (If rank 2 hulls the ai will use rank 2 hulls)

Aratex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  perplexingTheorist on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey guys, I think I'll let my friend who is a LoL player try this game mode out. Maybe he could give us some insight to what would make the game mode more appealing to people who are not so attracted to space shooters.

Also, on a side not, what if you had a game mode sorta like Battleships crossfire where you all start out with a basic hull and then can purchase different hulls/weapons/abilities in the game and play like that? It'd play a little more fluidly and would allow for players to respond to the scenarios in game, opposed to being stuck with a single ship you built which may or may not synergize with your team or the situations at hand. This is just a suggestion for another mode like spire battle that may attract fans of other MOBAs to the game, but not replace spire battle itself.
perplexingTheorist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:58 pm

We have tossed around the idea of in match progression similar to MOBA games, we haven't completely ruled it out, but it would probably be in some limited form if we were to add it. Currently, in modes like Spire Battle and the planned MOBA mode, you can launch with a selection of 5 hulls which you can switch between when you are dead. You do this by setting up your Auxiliary bays with the other templates you wish to play, you can then press the same button that activates sage abilities to select which hull to play as when you are dead. This is more of a pokemon type mechanic than a traditional MOBA, but it lets you respond to different situations nonetheless.
Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  perplexingTheorist on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:We have tossed around the idea of in match progression similar to MOBA games, we haven't completely ruled it out, but it would probably be in some limited form if we were to add it. Currently, in modes like Spire Battle and the planned MOBA mode, you can launch with a selection of 5 hulls which you can switch between when you are dead. You do this by setting up your Auxiliary bays with the other templates you wish to play, you can then press the same button that activates sage abilities to select which hull to play as when you are dead. This is more of a pokemon type mechanic than a traditional MOBA, but it lets you respond to different situations nonetheless.

I actually like this.
Up until now i was seriously wondering what the purpose of the Auxiliary bays were.
perplexingTheorist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Yeah, they were put into the GUI a bit prematurely, they only recently became useful. Embarassed
Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  perplexingTheorist on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:Yeah, they were put into the GUI a bit prematurely, they only recently became useful. Embarassed

Hey that's alright, at least I know they're usage now!
perplexingTheorist

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

Paul Dryere wrote:Yeah, they were put into the GUI a bit prematurely, they only recently became useful. Embarassed
You didn't have them planned from the beginning? Or were they just repurposed after they became obsolete?
EvilNinjadude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ECDryere on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

EvilNinjadude wrote:You didn't have them planned from the beginning? Or were they just repurposed after they became obsolete?

They were planned from the beginning, just not implemented.
ECDryere
Admin

View user profile http://ringrunner.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top