Any Good Caster Builds?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any Good Caster Builds?

Post  Jessen on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:51 am

I had the pleasure of toying around on a friend's machine and played some Ring Runner, and I like the game a lot. What I'm wondering is if there's anyone with some really good caster builds out there. I came up with a good Manta build for just some rookie games but I know I need to kick it up a notch for next time I get a shot at playing the game. Anyone got any helpful builds or tips?

Jessen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any Good Caster Builds?

Post  Murky42 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 am

The I could find so far is the C5G.

The crux of this build is to use kinetic harvester in combination with the casters move abilities.
Use auxiliary repulsor in combination with both casters drives and the newtonian wave generator.

Kinetic harvester stacks so use movement abilities followed by attacks to deal damage.

For damage I used the gravector beam+the gravlight array.

Falcon drive and X-Drive are recommended as well.

Playstyle is simple, use movement abilities rapidly to increase your damage and weave around your foes and then throw them in to walls and blast them to pieces.

In general though casters are the weakest class as of right now.

Murky42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:13 pm

Casters shine in certain mission types, they are the best at Zombie Mode, and are great in Spire Mode. They will definitely be very useful in the MOBA mode, as they can clear waves of creeps and destroy structures quite well.

You can take a look at the Prebuilt versions of the caster hulls when you are playing a scenario, all of them are quite powerful. Just click the Select Prebuilt button next to the Select Hull button in the mission hangar.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Meh

Post  Murky42 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 pm

They can be decent at taking out mobs of enemies and and can kill buildings relatively fast.

However they have low survivability and relatively few ways of healing themselves.

This doesn't become a very large problem on the lower difficulties but if you are playing on the union this quickly becomes a problem. Besides their better base killing abilities require them to be on top of the enemy base which is also where you are most vulnerable.

Besides the caster requires significantly more effort to pilot properly then most other ships while not dealing significantly more damage in comparison even when piloted perfectly.

Most of its best abilities need to charge but two abilities cannot charge at the same time limiting its firepower significantly.
In comparison the arsenal can fire all the abilities in its arsenal (pun intended) at the same time.

To make matters worse most of its abilities are AoE abilities and quite a bit of the classes have measures to significantly lower the amount of AoE damage they take.

Besides this its archetype abilities are not quite up to snuff in comparison to others. Some are only useful for specific builds for example tempral tuning and others have large drawbacks (glass cannon).
The grappler's archetype abilities are almost all complete upgrades in comparison.

Honestly I haven't made a single caster build yet that I find satisfying to play as on the union or even the pool. Other then the C5G build mentioned below that relies stacking kinetic harvester which should be fixed soon.

I have unlocked everything and have played this game for more then 107 hours. If I cannot see more then 1 viable caster build that works well at high difficulty play. Then either I am very unimaginative or there are quite simply few viable builds for high level play.

The easiest way to prove my point though is simply by trying it yourself. Beat all 5 gamemodes on the union using caster class ships and then compare how hard it was to do so in comparison to the other classes.

It could very well be that the caster class simply does not suit my playstyle but I don't believe that's the case.

PS. I accidentally made this post a bit of a rant but oh well.

Murky42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 pm

I have beaten every mode with just about every hull on the union. Some hulls are weak in certain missions, but there is really no way to have variety without having strengths and weaknesses. We will be doing quite a bit of testing in the MOBA mode, and rebalancing as needed. We will try to avoid nerfing particular hulls and abilities at all costs, but it may be necessary in some cases.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Murky42 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:14 am

Beating it is always possible what is important is how much effort it takes in comparison.

If I have two ships that can do the exact same thing except one ship can complete his function by pressing two buttons and the other ship needs to spell out the alphabet then the former ship is obviously better.

Another disadvantage casters have is that they get less use out of haste buffs as it doesn't increase the rate at which they charge attacks (as far as I know).

Anyhow I'm sure that any necessary changes will be made in the MOBA mode update.

Murky42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Murky42 wrote:Another disadvantage casters have is that they get less use out of haste buffs as it doesn't increase the rate at which they charge attacks (as far as I know).

Anyhow I'm sure that any necessary changes will be made in the MOBA mode update.
Haste buffs DO increase charge speed. Why do you think I run a Gamma Hamma Lupine? Exactly.

EvilNinjadude

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Woops

Post  Murky42 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:31 am

Welp now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Thinking of it this kind of information should be more available in game. For example there isn't anyway to know what reduces stealth from inside the hangar.

On a completely unrelated note the tactical teleport ability doesn't specify how large of a damage buff you get for using the ability.

Murky42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Stealth costs are usually pretty intuitive, all stealth weaponry doesn't get you out of stealth, while more flashy abilities will tend to get you out of stealth a bit more.

Added more info to the Tactical Teleport description, also slightly buffed it.

Paul Dryere

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hurrah

Post  Murky42 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 am

This will be a nice buff for one of my favorite builds.

Anyhow keep in mind that you have basically designed the entire game and that everything might seem obvious to you.
The easiest way to check is simply to ask other people how they think the game works and look at what they get wrong.

If multiple people get something wrong you might have to look again at how obvious something really is.

If I remember right in the rogue archetype video it tells you that you also lose stealth based on heat and proximity to your foe and that your stealth level is different for every different entity. That is a lot less obvious then you might think it is.

EDIT:

A modified heatwave build is pretty good now that I've tried it.

Murky42

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top