Ring Runner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keyboard Controls - They Suck

4 posters

Go down

Keyboard Controls - They Suck Empty Keyboard Controls - They Suck

Post  Arkatox Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm

In my experience with the game, the only real downside I've found is that the game is made specifically to be played with a gamepad or controller. This typically isn't a bad thing, as long as the developers spend some time focusing on the keyboard controls as well to be sure they work correctly.

While I'll say that the keyboard/mouse controls don't ruin the game (heck, I would still play through the entire game like that—the game as a whole is that good), they certainly lessen enjoyment considerably. All of the controls are on the keyboard, except you can fire your main weapons using the mouse buttons. You don't even move the mouse at all, and that just makes for an awkward control scheme.

Basically, if you play with a keyboard and mouse, you're constantly struggling to stay in control of your ship, because it's so hard to even maneuver the thing without a gamepad.

I wouldn't be offended if the controls were left how they are, but I really think they could use some work.
Arkatox
Arkatox

http://rjhorst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Keyboard Controls - They Suck Empty Re: Keyboard Controls - They Suck

Post  Paul Dryere Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm

You can switch to mouse aim mode under Options>Game>Aim Mode, also the mouse by default controls your archetype abilities (i.e. barrel rolls and all directional abilities). Just make a quick movement with your mouse in the direction you want your archetype ability to activate.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Though I still believe the default control scheme is the best for very high end play. Just has a bit of a learning curve.
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 am

Well, it's definitely hard to get used to. And if you've been playing SPAZ like I have, then the mouse controls are brilliant.

I know you guys have written it in the Help section of the Alpha, but let's face it, only I really read that, so I can't apply my experience to other people and call them stupid. Just lazy.
Because I really hate it when I have to listen to people complain about a "problem" without looking for the fix within the game. It's like complaining that enemies die too fast WHILE PLAYING ON ROOKIE DIFFICULTY.

E.C., Paul, we gotta find a way to make people understand all different control schemes with as little time and text as possible. Go.
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Dryere Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:08 am

Already added the appropriate dialogues in the early missions of the game. Will be active next patch. Smile
Paul Dryere
Paul Dryere

Back to top Go down

Post  Arkatox Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Touché, ENd. And thanks both of you for the help.

As I said, I'd still play through the entire game like this. It's just... quite difficult to master. Er, that's a bit of an understatement. It is true that I'm not a natural when it comes to space shooters.
Arkatox
Arkatox

http://rjhorst.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ECDryere Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Let us know what you think after trying the different control schemes, and don't be afraid to change any of the bindings. I think there are enough options there to satisfy most players, but let us know if you have any other suggestions. We're always listening. Wink
ECDryere
ECDryere
Admin

http://ringrunner.net

Back to top Go down

Post  EvilNinjadude Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 pm

It gets easier, trust me Very Happy
I used to be bad like you, but now, watching one of the let's plays Automatically makes me cringe at their piloting skills. Makes that big of a difference, you know?
EvilNinjadude
EvilNinjadude

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down